News
No COVID-19 positive inmates in Dansoman cell – District Commander refutes claim

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Police-Commander-1-Chief-Superintendent-Daniel-Jeffrey-Darko-.jpg&description=No COVID-19 positive inmates in Dansoman cell – District Commander refutes claim', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Police-Commander-1-Chief-Superintendent-Daniel-Jeffrey-Darko-.jpg&description=No COVID-19 positive inmates in Dansoman cell – District Commander refutes claim', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The District Commander of Police at the Dansoman Division of the Ghana Police Service, Chief Superintendent Daniel Jeffrey Darko has refuted claims that a number of inmates have tested positive for COVID-19.
He therefore urged persons spreading fear to desist from doing so as their conduct may scare people from reporting criminal offences.
Speaking to journalists yesterday after a disinfection exercise undertaken by Zoomlion Ghana Limited, Chief Supt. Darko, said, test results would be announced to the members of the public as soon as it is ready.
In other to curb the spread of COVID-19, Supt. Darko said police cells had been decongested, while persons who committed lesser offences were granted bail.
He said if there was enough evidence to prosecute suspects, criminal proceedings were done immediately while investigations were expedited in cases without evidence.
Chief Supt. Darko told journalists that both personnel and inmates observe regular hand washing under running water, use alcohol based hand sanitisers, nose masks and practise physical distancing.
He expressed his profound gratitude to Zoomlion for sanitising Chorkor, Korle Bu and Mamprobi police stations- all under the Dansoman District.
His colleague, Chief Supt Cephas Arthur, the Commander of Mamprobi Police Station said fewer inmates were detained in adherence with social distancing protocols to prevent the spread of the disease.
When asked about the need to re-engineer police cells, he said the police would welcome any support from the members of the public.
Mr Morgan Acquah, General Manager at Zoomlion Ghana Limited said disinfection of all 101 police stations in the Greater Accra Region is expected to be completed by next week.
Asked whether the chemical used for the exercise was harmful, Mr Acquah responded in the affirmative, noting that chlorine, the chemical used for disinfection had been approved by the World Health Organisation (WHO) as the appropriate chemical.
A few weeks ago, Zoomlion Ghana Limited began a nationwide disinfection of all police stations including offices, cells and barracks.
Prior to that, the waste management company had undertaken similar exercise across the nation in public and private tertiary institutions, markets, lorry stations and the judiciary.
Currently, Zoomlion is offering a 50 per cent discount on its services to private businesses, establishments and companies.
BY MALIK SULLEMANA
News
Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly kills wife, commits suicide
Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide.
According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026.
Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA.
He explained that after news of the woman’s death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026.
Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy.
Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA
News
Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.
The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.
Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.
Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.
The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.
Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.
Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.
After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.
For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.
A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.
According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.
She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.
However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.
The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.
Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.
Continued on page 12
By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu




